- All bookings must be confirmed in writing.
- A 50% deposit is required to secure a reservation.
- Full payment is required 6 weeks before guests arrive at Moditlo River Lodge.
- If the arrival date is less than 45 days from day of making the reservation then full payment is required.
- In the event of early departure we may charge for the full original booking.
- Your domicile and that of your clients will be deemed to be as specified in the reservation.
- The booking and all services carried out in terms of the reservation will be subject to South African law and the jurisdiction of South African courts.
The following cancellation fee applies on the full value of the booking.
- 50% cancellation fee if cancelled less than 60 days prior to arrival.
- 75% cancellation fee if cancelled less than 45 days prior to arrival.
- 100% cancellation fee if cancelled less than 30 days prior to arrival or no show.
- We welcome group bookings.
- Group definition: 10 or more full paying guests
- Group terms and conditions apply and is available upon request.
We strongly recommend that you/your clients ensure that you/your clients are the beneficiary/beneficiaries of a travel insurance policy that covers (at least):
- Injury & death
- Medical costs & emergency evacuation
- Loss of or damage to personal belongings (due to theft or otherwise)
Subscribe to our newsletter
WHAT IS YOUR CHILD POLICY? Due to the lay-out and nature of Moditlo River Lodge we welcome children of 8 years and older. Children between the ages of 8 and 11 years of age sharing a room with two full-paying adults will be charged 50% of the per person sharing rate. Children over 12 years of age pay the full adult rate. Children in their own room will pay the standard adult rates. Children are allowed on game drives at the manager’s discretion. Private vehicle may also be booked for families with small children. Please see the rates page for tariffs pertaining to children. WHAT IS THE CLIMATE LIKE? Hot and humid, summer is known as the wet season, occurring from October through April. The dry and mild winter months, from May to September, are considered the dry season. It is necessary to pack warm clothing if visiting during the winter as early morning and evening game drives tend to be cold. During the wet summertime thunderstorms occur during most afternoons, although it rarely rains throughout the whole day. IS THERE CELLPHONE RECEPTION? Cell phone reception can be enjoyed at the Lodge. Signal strength varies between the different networks. IS THE WATER SAFE TO DRINK? The water is safe to drink straight from the faucet. Bottled water is also provided in your room at an additional charge. ELECTRICITY? Our standard current is 220V. It is recommended that you bring your own power converter along. These can be obtained at all major electronic shops or international airports.BOOK NOW
WHAT IF I HAVE SPECIAL DIETARY REQUIREMENTS? We are happy to accommodate dietary requirements if we are notified in advance. You will be sent a questionnaire as part of the booking procedure which has a section to list any food-related requirements. WHICH METHOD OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT? We accept most major credit cards, as well as South African Rand, USD and Euros. Please note that your bill will be calculated according to the rate of exchange on the day and a service fee does apply. WILL WE BE ABLE TO BUY CURIOS NEARBY? The lodge has a curio shop that sells necessities you may have forgotten at home, as well as African souvenir to remind you of your visit to Moditlo River Lodge. DO YOU CATER FOR WEDDINGS AND PRIVATE EVENTS? Weddings and private functions are available on request. IS MODITLO SITUATED IN A MALARIA-AREA? IS IT NECESSARY TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS? We are situated in a low risk malaria area. Consult with your physician if you feel the need to take precautions. Mosquito repellents are available from our curio shop. HOW FAR IS MODITLO FROM JOHANNESBURG? A travelling distance of 5 hours by car or an 1 hour flying from O.R. Tambo International Airport to Eastgate. WHY IS THE LODGE LOCATED WHERE IT IS? The location of the lodge was chosen based on careful consideration and a thorough environmental impact study. We elected to remain close to the road to ensure that we disturb the environment as little as possible. This way we don’t litter the reserve with power cables or disturb the quiet with the thoroughfare of daily delivery vehicles. IS THE AREA SAFE? Moditlo is situated in a Big Five game area and guests should be aware that animals roam freely throughout the reserve, as it is not fenced-in. We take every precaution to ensure the safety of our visitors and will also provide a guard to escort you to your room should you prefer. WHAT TYPES OF FLORA IS THE AREA KNOWN FOR? Moditlo’s vegetation is made up of two distinct eco-zones, namely Northern Thornveld, a type of semi-arid savannah in which grassland with thorny acacia and certain species of thorny bushes predominate, and Southern Bushwillow Woodlands. WHAT KIND OF ANIMALS AM I LIKELY TO ENCOUNTER? Although animal sightings are by no means guaranteed and dependant on a great number of factors, Moditlo is home to the following creatures:
- The Big Five, namely elephants, rhino (black and white), buffalo, lion and leopard.
- Various species of antelope, including impala, nyala, eland, kudu, grey duiker, steenbok and blue wildebeest.
- Various predator species, including cheetah, wild dog, hyena and crocodile.
- Herbivores like hippos and giraffes.
- Primates like baboons and monkeys.
- Nocturnal species like the small spotted genet, lesser bush baby, thick tall bush baby and porcupine.
- A variety of bird species including the martial eagle, brown snake eagle, southern ground hornbill, yellow fronted tinker bird, and Narina Trogon hornbills, as well as the giant eagle owl, spotted thick knee, fiery-necked nightjar, African Scops owl and spotted eagle owl.