We are happy to accommodate dietary requirements if we are notified in advance. You will be sent a questionnaire as part of the booking procedure which has a section to list any food-related requirements.
We accept most major credit cards, as well as South African Rand, USD and Euros. Please note that your bill will be calculated according to the rate of exchange on the day and a service fee does apply.
The lodge has a curio shop that sells necessities you may have forgotten at home, as well as African souvenir to remind you of your visit to Moditlo River Lodge.
Weddings and private functions are available on request.
We are situated in a low risk malaria area. Consult with your physician if you feel the need to take precautions. Mosquito repellents are available from our curio shop.
A travelling distance of 5 hours by car or an 1 hour flying from O.R. Tambo International Airport to Eastgate.
The location of the lodge was chosen based on careful consideration and a thorough environmental impact study. We elected to remain close to the road to ensure that we disturb the environment as little as possible. This way we don’t litter the reserve with power cables or disturb the quiet with the thoroughfare of daily delivery vehicles.
Moditlo is situated in a Big Five game area and guests should be aware that animals roam freely throughout the reserve, as it is not fenced-in. We take every precaution to ensure the safety of our visitors and will also provide a guard to escort you to your room should you prefer.
Moditlo’s vegetation is made up of two distinct eco-zones, namely Northern Thornveld, a type of semi-arid savannah in which grassland with thorny acacia and certain species of thorny bushes predominate, and Southern Bushwillow Woodlands.
Although animal sightings are by no means guaranteed and dependant on a great number of factors, Moditlo is home to the following creatures:
- The Big Five, namely elephants, rhino (black and white), buffalo, lion and leopard.
- Various species of antelope, including impala, nyala, eland, kudu, grey duiker, steenbok and blue wildebeest.
- Various predator species, including cheetah, wild dog, hyena and crocodile.
- Herbivores like hippos and giraffes.
- Primates like baboons and monkeys.
- Nocturnal species like the small spotted genet, lesser bush baby, thick tall bush baby and porcupine.
- A variety of bird species including the martial eagle, brown snake eagle, southern ground hornbill, yellow fronted tinker bird, and Narina Trogon hornbills, as well as the giant eagle owl, spotted thick knee, fiery-necked nightjar, African Scops owl and spotted eagle owl.