At Moditlo River Lodge we offer our guests a daily safari programme conducted by passionate, knowledgeable guides in modified Land Cruisers that have been fitted for optimal game-viewing and supreme comfort.
Please note that times serve as general guidelines only, but may vary due to seasonal conditions, the actual game drives etc.
Guests will be notified in advance of any changes that might happen.
Daily Safari Programme*
SUMMER (SEPTEMBER - APRIL)
- +/-04h45-05h00 -Wake-up call. (A staff member will give you a wake-up call by knocking on your door.) Coffee, tea and rusks or biscuits will be available in the main building just before you depart on your game drive. (It is usually light enough to walk to the main area unaccompanied).
- 05h30 - Depart on game drive from the reception area.
- 08h30-9h00 - Breakfast when guests return from game drive.
- 10h00-14h00 - Relaxing time for guests. Great time to visit our spa or book excursions.
- 14h00 - Light lunch in dining area.
- 16h00 - Meet your guide in the reception area and depart on game drive.
- 19h15-19h30 - Back at the lodge from afternoon / evening game drive.
- 20h00 - Dinner
WINTER (MAY - SEPTEMBER)
- +/-05h15-05h30 - Wake-up call. (A staff member will give you a wake-up call by knocking on your door.) Coffee, tea and rusks or biscuits will be available in the main building just before you depart on your game drive. If it is still dark by this time, please do not walk alone. The night watchman will come to pick you up from your room.
- 06h00 - Depart on game drive from the reception area.
- +/-09h30-10h00 - Breakfast when guests return from game drive.
- 10h30-14h00 - Relaxing time for guests. Great time to visit our spa or book excursions.
- 14h00 - Light lunch in dining area.
- 15h30 - Meet your guide in the reception area and depart on game drive.
- 18h15-18h45 - Back at the lodge from afternoon / evening game drive.
- 19h30-19h45 - Dinner
Morning Safaris begin with a wake-up knock at your door, as your personal guide does the rounds to wake his guests. Get up, dress warmly and make your way to the Main Lodge for a steaming cup of coffee or tea to start off the day. Now the adventure begins! Find a spot on the Land Cruiser, settle in and prepare to experience the stirrings of the African bushveld as its great beasts wake from their slumber to the breaking of the day.
Our nature guides and trackers know the reserve like the back of their hands and will confer to read the tracks, sounds and sights of the veld to find the hidden areas where the animals congregate. Each day is different and, depending on the weather, time of year, herd behaviour and various other factors you may encounter lions, cheetahs, wild dogs, hippos, crocodiles, rhinos, a variety of plains game and more.
Along the way, we'll stop over to enjoy another cup of coffee or tea and a snack. This is a great time to take a few pictures and ask any questions you may have for your guide. Our nature guides have been hand-picked for their vast knowledge of the area and its animals and will be more than happy to clarify, inform and discuss any topic at length.
Now it's time to head back to the Main Lodge, and we continue our search for exciting wildlife sightings as we go. Back at the lodge, guests are ushered to the thatched dining to enjoy a hearty breakfast that includes everything from fresh, seasonal fruit and creamy yogurt to steaming mounds of eggs and sausage.
Evening Safaris begin in the late afternoon and provide guests with the opportunity to enjoy a different side of the bushveld, as day-roaming animals prepare to settle in for the night and our nocturnal friends emerge to stalk the plains. We drive into the veld as the sun begins to set, painting the sky with streaks of amber, ochre and gold, making our way into the approaching gloom of an African dusk.
We stop over to enjoy a cocktail as the sunset makes way for nightfall and the sky is transformed into a velvety backdrop for thousands upon thousands of stars. On the way back the guide turn on a powerful spotlight and point out night-time predators and their prey.
Back at the lodge there is an opportunity to return to your room to freshen up before dinner, which is served at the thatched dining area or beneath the stars at our open-air boma.
* Please note that this programme serves as a guideline only. It is dependent on occupancy, weather and individual group requirements. Seasonal time changes are also not fixed, and may vary from year to year.